Coffee has been both praised and mocked for centuries. It has been blamed to cause impotence and madness, other times a cure for laziness or ‘gift from heaven’
Caffeine the most widely consumed psychoactive substance in the world, is the best known ingredient of coffee. Its beneficial effects on the human body has been researched quite well, but coffee as a whole is a complex beverage with thousand different substances.
Let us decode the 10 wonderful health benefits of coffee:
- Coffee boosts your physical performance: Have a cup of black coffee about an hour before workout and your performance can improve by 11to 12%. Caffeine increases adrenaline levels in your blood. Adrenaline is your body’s ‘fight or flight’ hormone which helps you to prepare for physical exertion.
- Coffee may help you lose weight: Coffee contains magnesium and potassium which helps the human body use insulin, regulating blood sugar levels and reducing your craving for sugary treats and snacks.
- Coffee helps you to burn fat: Caffeine helps fat cells break down body fat and use it as fuel for training.
- Coffee helps you to focus and stay alert: Moderate caffeine intake, 1-6 cups a day, helps your focus and improves your mental alertness.
- Coffee lowers risk of death: Coffee can lower the risk of death. Studies have shown that coffee drinkers overall risk of premature death is 25% lower than of those who do not drink coffee.
- Coffee reduces risk of cancer: Studies have shown that coffee may decrease the risk of developing prostate cancer in men by 20% and endometrial cancer in women by 25%. Caffeine may also prevents developing of basal cell carcinoma, the most common type of skin cancer.
- Coffee protects your body: Coffee contains a lot of anti-oxidants that works as little warriors fighting and protecting against free radicals within your body.
- Coffee brightens your mood and helps fight depression and lowers risk of suicide: Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts production of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline which elevate your mood. Two cups of coffee a day prevents risk of suicide by 50%.
- Coffee may lower risk of Type II diabetes: Caffeine decreases your insulin sensitivity and impairs glucose tolerance, therefore reduces your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Coffee protects your brain: High caffeine levels in your blood reduces the risk of Alzheimer disease. It also lowers the risk of dementia.
Research on coffee and it’s pros and cons for humans is nowhere near finished but we have tried our best to bring the 10 wonderful and amazing health benefits of coffee in this article.
Want to know more about amazing health benefits of ordinary and day-to-life things in our lives? Then for sure you have to stay connected with us for your wellness and healthy being.