It packs a healthy punch not only when consumed, olive oil also packs a bevy of skin, hair and beauty benefits too. Here is a roundup of all that you ever wanted to know about olive oil.
Olive oil is fast becoming the world’s favourite oil. This wonderful secret of many Mediterranean recipes is now out in the open for the entire globe to enjoy. Olive oil is the fat which is obtained from crushing olives, a fruit that is primarily grown and cultivated in the Mediterranean region. Health and culinary circuits can’t stop raving about the benefits of this wonder oil.
Here are some health benefits of olive oil:
- Source of Mono-saturated fatty acids: Looking to shed some extra pounds? Switch to a diet that has least intake of trans fats. Olive oil is profuse with mono-saturated fatty acids, a healthy fat that helps battle heart disease, cholesterol and even blood sugar.
- Source of good cholesterol: Olive oil promotes the flow High density lipoproteins or HDL which is called the good cholesterol, which scavenges the blood stream of plaque and toxin formation.
- Good for heart health: Diets with high in MUFAs are linked to a healthy heart and fewer strokes. Olive oil’s ability to limit LDL or bad cholesterol further bolsters the heart health and prevents strokes.
- Good for digestion: Olive oil can work wonders for your gastrointestinal tract and colon. Olive oil helps stimulates the digestive system, making food move smoothly through the colon. Rich in mono-saturated fats, olive oil helps in better mobility of food through the colon. This also helps speeding up bowel movement thereby constipation.
- May treat depression: Olive oil increase the levels of serotonin, the brain chemical that is also called the happiness hormone. Majority of the anti-depressants also steer towards stimulating the production of serotonin.
- Promotes brain health: The good amount of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids presents in extra virgin olive oil are good for brain and memory power.
- Moisturizes your skin: Olive oil contains vitamin E, which improves skin health by treating inflammation, acne and dryness. It also improves skin elasticity and its regenerative properties. The anti-oxidants, minerals and good fats, fight the free radicals, and facilitate healthy and fuller skin respectively.
Olive oil is packed with several health benefits. Olive oil is loaded with heart-protective pole-phenols that lower cholesterol. It is also packed with anti-inflammatory properties. The mono-saturated fatty acids boosts metabolism and aids weight loss.
Olive oil with its distinct pungent flavour can add charm to so many of your boring dishes. The Indian taste bud is also slowly embracing the western wonder, not just for its distinct flavour but also for the numerous health benefits that it holds.
These are some health benefits of olive oil. Hope you enjoyed it. Stay connected with us for more information about health benefits!