Making homemade mayonnaise does not have to be a major effort, and you do not need to wait until you are scraping the bottom of your store brought mayo to make your own.
Making mayo is a wonderful starting point for making all kinds of salad dressings, like blue cheese, Thousand Island and ranch as well as sandwich spreads like Russian dressing.
Mayonnaise is a combination of egg yolks, salt, oil, vinegar and water. Let us quickly look into the recipe of making mayonnaise sauce.
Preparation of Mayonnaise Sauce
- Egg yolks
- 200ml/6 fl oz. vegetable oil
( This vegetable oil should be used for each egg yolk)
Steps to prepare:
- Beat the egg yolks with a little salt until creamy but not frothy.
- Add the oil, drop by drop, beating it in and only adding more oil when the previous addition has been fully incorporated.
- If the mayonnaise becomes too thick or will not absorb any more oil, add a few drops of vinegar or warm water.
- Continue adding the oil in a thin stream until it is used up and the mayonnaise has a thick consistency.
- Then stir it thoroughly one more time.
- Season the mayonnaise with salt, freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of sugar and a little mustard but it must be thick and firm.
Your exotic, amazing and delicious sauce is ready! This is great served as dip for cold shrimp.
This recipe makes about 1 cup of sauce. The mayonnaise can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Hope you enjoyed this article. It is complete guide to your home-making mayonnaise sauce. Stay tuned with us for more nutritious and delicious recipes updates!