It is creamy, it is rich and it is earthy, avocados are our favourite picks when it comes to dips, desserts and salads. Avocados have high-fat content and is yet considered as one of healthiest fruits you can add to your diet.
This is because avocados are loaded with good monounsaturated oils that do not pile up calories, instead they help lubricate joints and lower blood pressure. Boosting of some 20 minerals and vitamins, avocados are one of the most nutritious fruits known to mankind. In fact its high nutritive profile has also earned the fruit the title of ‘The Olive Oil Of The Americas’
Here are some benefits of avocados you may not have known before.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Avocados are rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which help relieve arthritis pain. It is also a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help lubricate joints and further relieve joint pains. The fats of this fruits are unique and this keeps inflammation under control. It also contains poly-hydroxylated fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory.
- Regulates blood pressure: Avocados may do wonders in keeping your blood pressure levels in check too. Avocados are good source of potassium and are low in sodium which helps keep your blood pressure stable. A stable blood pressure helps stave off the risk of heart attack or stroke.
- Good for heart: In addition to being a healthy bet for blood pressure patients, avocados are also a rich source of antioxidants and monounsaturated fats which help keep the heart healthy and reduce the risk of stroke. Eating avocado can also regulate LDL and HDL cholesterol levels, as well as blood triglycerides.
- Boosts fertility: According to the book, Healing Foods, avocados help in boosting fertility and better the chances at conceiving too. It is also linked to increasing the success of IVF Treatment.
- Good for eyes: Including avocados in your diet may help improve eyesight. Avocados are loaded with beta-carotene and antioxidants which are beneficial for eyes. They also contain lutein and zeaxanthin both these nutrients help maintain good eyesight, night vision and minimize damage from ultraviolet rays. The high amount of vitamin A, also helps reduce the risk of macular degeneration that develops with old age.
- Good source of folate: Avocados are a good source of folate. Pregnant women must include avocados in their diet as folate helps healthy foetal development. Folate also decreases the risk of depression. Folate prevents the build-up of homocysteine. This substance tends to hamper circulation and delivery path of nutrients to brain.
- Powerhouse of nutrients: Avocado is a powerhouse of many essential nutrients and minerals. It is rich in vitamin K, B5, B6, E and C. They are also dense in potassium, folic acid, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and phosphorous.
- Keep the skin healthy: Avocados are rich in vitamin C and vitamin E, both of which are essential in keeping the skin healthy and glowing.
There are number of other ways in which you can use the versatile fruit. Throw them up in salads or whip them up in delicious lassi. You can also purchase avocado oil and put them to use instead of the fattening refined oil. Avocado oil is pressed from the flesh of avocado and is renowned for its ability to protect heart and fight free radical damage.
So what are you waiting for? Start including avocado from today in your diet and get the most amazing and best health benefits from it!