The Corona virus outbreak risks sparking a global mental health crisis. UN calls for urgent action to address the psychological suffering brought on by the pandemic crisis.
While protecting physical health has the main concern during the first months of the crisis, it is also placing huge mental strains on large swathes of the global population. After decades of neglect and under-investment in mental health services, the COVID-19 pandemic is now hitting families and communities with additional mental stress.
Even when the pandemic is brought under control, grief, anxiety and depression will continue to affect people and communities. The UN highlighted the mental strains on people fearing that they or loved ones will be infected or die from the novel corona virus.
It also pointed to the psychological impact on vast numbers of people who have lost or at a risk of losing their livelihoods, have been separated from loved ones or have suffered under drastic lockdown orders.
Tremendous stress- we know that the current situations, the fear and uncertainty, the economic turmoil –they all cause or could cause psychological distress.
Health care workers and first responders operating under high stress, pointing to news reports indicating rise in suicides among medical workers. A whole host of other groups also face particularly psychological challenges brought on by the crisis.
Children are being kept out of school, for instance, face uncertainty and anxiety .
Things to be done to keep stress out :
- Help children find positive ways to express feelings such as fear and sadness.
- Try to keep children close to their parents and family.
- Do things that you like or prefer.
- Maintain a proper family routine or create a new routines.
- Stay connected and maintain your social network.
- During stress time, pay heed to your own feelings.
- Minimize watching, reading or listening news about COVID-19.
- Learn simple daily physical exercise to perform at home during the days of lockdown.
- Do meditation for inner peace
- Try to provide support to your loved ones in this pandemic crisis.
- Take care of yourself. Eat healthy foods and stay healthy and cheerful all the times.
So it is actually very necessary to stay mental fit during this pandemic crisis situation . Besides being physically fit, mentally fit is also much needed. Try to follow the above things to keep yourself stress free. We assure you will be free and be mentally fit to some extent.
Do not forget to stay connected with us for more updates regarding COVID-19 updates.