It is arguably the easiest bread you can make, because you do not need an oven, but only two main ingredients (flour and liquid). Sprinkle it with covered in thinly sliced tomatoes and made a riff on magic green sauce drizzled on top. The result will make you wonder why you are working so hard on keeping your sourdough starter alive.
So let us begin with the delicious recipe.
Oats and Yogurt Flatbread
- 250 ml/ 1 cup/ 100 g oat flour+ more for dusting
- 120 ml/ ½ cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Magic Green Sauce
- 1 large handful mixed fresh parsley an mint ( can use coriander too)
- 100 ml/ ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3-4 jalapeno slices
- ½ garlic clove ( optional)
- 1 tablespoon capers salt
- 1 cup Turkish yogurt
- 4-8 ripe tomatoes of choice
- 1 tablespoon za’atar spice blend
Steps to prepare it:
- This makes four small flatbreads or two large. You can scale this recipe up or down by simply using the volume ratio twice as much flour as yogurt.
- Make oat flour by mixing rolled oats in a blender or food processor.
- You can make the flatbreads with regular AP flour using the exact same ratio and method.
- Take 4-8 ripe tomatoes and cut them into slices for toppings.
Making the Flatbread:
- Stir together oat flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add yogurt and stir until it comes together into a sticky ball. Cover with a plastic bag and leave for 15 minutes.
- Dust oat flour on a clean worktop and scrape out the dough. Shape into a round ball.
- Divide into 4 equal parts and shape each into a ball. One by one, roll them out into approximately ½ cm or 1/8 inch thin oval disc.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium hot. Brush it with a little bit of olive oil, place the flatbread in the pan and fry for about two minutes on the first side or until it looks golden with dark spots. Turn and fry the other side also for one more minute. Place a cloth while frying the rest.
Making of Green Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely mixed.
- Taste and add more salt, acidity, herbs or oil if needed.
- Spread out a thick yogurt layer on each bread and sprinkle generously with za’atar.
- Slice the tomatoes thinly and arrange them evenly over each bread.
- Drizzle with the green sauce.
- Cut into slices and dig in (white clothes )
Yes, it is now ready to go! Your delicious dish is now ready. Enjoy it!